Bearcats ready for four games against North Alabama
CINCINNATI- The University of Cincinnati baseball team will travel to Florence, Alabama to take on North Alabama for a four-game series Friday through Sunday. Game 1 kicks off at 4 p.m. ET on Friday and will be followed by a doubleheader on Saturday, with those games starting at 2 p.m. and around 4:30 p.m. Sunday’s game will wrap up the series, with the first pitch scheduled for 1 p.m.
Friday and Sunday’s games will air on ESPN+ and Saturday’s two games will be on ESPN3. Live statistics will be available on BearcatStats.com.
2022 record: 2-2, 0-0 AAC
The Head Coach: Scott Googins
Record at UC: 97-95 (5th)
Career record: 438-452 (17th)
2022 record: 0-3, 0-0 ASUN
Head Coach: Mike Keehn
School file: 334-295-1 (14th)
Career record: Same
FRIDAY FEB. 25
4 p.m. • ESPN+
HPL Tristan Weaver against RHP Jacob Bradshaw
SATURDAY FEB. 26
2:00 p.m. • ESPN3
HPL Alex Shea against RHP Will Haberstock
SATURDAY FEB. 26
4:30 p.m. • ESPN3
HPR Zach Segal against RHP Brycen Parrish
SUNDAY FEB. 27
1:00 p.m. • ESPN+
HPR Garrett Harker vs TBA
The Bearcats and Lions have never faced each other. Friday will mark the first-ever game between the two baseball programs.
- The Bearcats will arrive in Florence, Alabama with a 2-2 record after sharing the series with Florida Gulf Coast last weekend. Cincinnati won the first two games before losing the second two.
- North Alabama will be looking for its first win of the season this weekend. The Lions lost all three games to South Mississippi last weekend by a combined score of 29-5.
ABOUT THE BEARCATS
- UC’s offense has had a great start to the season, averaging 9.25 points per game, which ranks second in the AAC. The Bearcats’ nine homers rank fourth in the entire NCAA and their 50 hits rank 13th nationally.
- 2022 AAC Pre-Season Player of the Year Paul Komistek earned a spot on the AAC Weekly Honor Roll after hitting .500 and two homers in the first weekend. His 10 hits are third in the nation. Second year in red shirt Ryan Nicholson and junior red shirt Griffin Merritt each also had three homers, which is tied for fifth in the nation.
- Transfer graduate Tristan Weaver made a fine debut on the mound, pitching five innings and allowing just one run.
- After four games in 2022, Komistek is third in the NCAA with 10 hits. He’s hitting .500 with two home runs and six RBIs. The six RBIs are tied with teammate Griffin Merrit for the most in the conference.
- The redshirt junior outfielder from Knoxville, Tenn., was named the 2022 AAC Preseason Player of the Year by league coaches.
- In the conference, he ranked second in BA (.364), third in slugging percentage (.599), and second in on-base percentage (.459), all of which led UC in 2021.
- Komistek is the second UC player to be named AAC Preseason Player of the Year. The other was Ian Happ in 2015, who is now an outfielder for the Chicago Cubs.
- The Bearcats exploded on offense in the first weekend. They currently rank 13th in the nation in hits (50) and fourth in homers (9).
- In the AAC, UC ranks third in slugging percentage (.515), second in runs scored (37), first in hits (50), and first in total bases (84).
- Komistek, Nicholson and Merritt lead the charge at home plate. All three rank in the top five in the conference in hitting percentage, runs scored, hits, RBIs, homers and total bases after the first weekend.
GO, GO, LEAVE
- After college baseball’s first weekend this year, Cincinnati led the nation in home runs with nine. They now rank fourth.
- Nicholson and Merritt have three each and Komistek has two long balls. Seeker Joe Powell also had a circuit.
- The Bearcats threw 67 homers in the 2021 season, which ranked third in the conference.
- Transfer graduate Tristan Weaver made his UC debut on February 18, pitching five innings while allowing just two hits and one run. He struck out four and took the win.
- Harker and freshman catcher Boston Smith the two made their college debuts on February 19. It was the first time a UC pitcher and catcher had made their debuts on the same day since LHP Dalton Lehnen and catcher Joey Thomas made it on Feb. 13, 2015.
RETURN TO THE FIELD
- Zach Segal seeks to help lead a UC pitching team that has lost some key arms. Segal played 18 games, started nine and went 5-4 in his sophomore season. He’s made two appearances so far in 2022, pitching 3.2 innings without giving up a run.
- Handsome Keathleywhile working primarily in relief in 2021, hopes to help anchor the pitching staff after striking out 42 batters in 41.0 innings with a 1.44 WHIP.
- Jackson Murphy will be back to anchor a Bearcats bullpen. In 2021, Murphy had an ERA of 3.21 and a WHIP of 1.57. He also led the team in pitching appearances with 22, all out of the bullpen. He pitched 1.1 innings without giving up a run in 2022.
Subscriptions for the 2022 season are now on sale! The Bearcats open their home slate on Friday, March 4 as they host Northwestern at UC Ballpark. To purchase season tickets, visit cpaw.me/SeasonTickets or call 1-877-CATS-TIX (1-877-228-7849).
FOLLOW THE BEARCATS
REMARK: All dates and times are subject to change due to weather. All schedule changes will be announced on Twitter at @GoBearcatsBASE.