The family of the player killed in a fight speaks out
VENTURA, Calif. – The family of a Port Hueneme man who died from injuries he sustained when he was attacked during a football game at Oxnard High School earlier this month are begging the public for any information relating to the death of the 29-year-old man.
Misael Sanchez was hospitalized on Sunday July 10 after a fight broke out on a high school football field. Officials say the fight also involved teams and spectators during the game. He died on July 25.
His family is holding a press conference Thursday at 11 a.m. to ask witnesses who were present on July 10 to speak with the police.
“My family is heartbroken and still in disbelief as we expected a bright future for him. Misael was assaulted by multiple attackers on July 10, 2022 and left in critical condition.
“We weren’t ready for this kind of goodbye. At this time we ask for your prayers, and if you can contribute financially it will be greatly appreciated. Donations will help the family through this difficult time,” wrote his family. on a GoFundMe page.
According to a statement released by the family’s attorneys, the football match was sanctioned by adult league La Nueva Liga Oxnard between the Panteras and Cruz Azul teams.
“We know that there have been violent attacks in this league before and that La Nueva Liga Oxnard’s status as a 501c3 non-profit corporation has been suspended since 2020,” the Sanchez family attorney said. , Danielle DeSmeth. “Allowing players and teams with previous acts of violence to continue playing creates a foreseeable danger for players like Misael.”
“None of us will rest until those who hurt Misael are found,” said his father Guadalupe Sanchez.
Sanchez was the first member of his family to attend college, earning both his undergraduate and graduate degrees at California State University, Northridge. He was working on his doctorate at the time of his death.
“Misael’s family knows that there were dozens, if not hundreds, of people who witnessed what happened to him on the football field on July 10, and they will be asking those listening to be brave enough to come forward and share what they saw,” the family said. the lawyers said.